11.26.2010

Dollar Store Wall Art {tutorial}

My stairway walls have desperately been needing some dressing up. They are stark white (it's the renter's curse!). The area wraps around into the entryway and living/dining room, so it felt like too big of an area to paint, which is why I have been meaning to buy or create some wall art to display on the wall at the top of the stairs.  While there are tons of great options out there, I wanted something unique and inexpensive - and have I mentioned I like to make things?

So, a while back I picked up these little canvases from my local Dollar Tree for, you guessed it, $1 a piece.

As you can see, this is not exactly my style (is it anyone's style?!) But do not fear! To fix this ugly little situation, I enlisted the help of my good friend, Krylon White spray paint. I think it took me maybe 2 or 3 coats to erase all of the badness.



Ahh…blank canvas. Now I was able to unleash my creativity (ha! yeah right). I free handed some birds - however, I wish I would have printed a bird silhouette and stenciled it onto the canvases to get some uniformity to their shapes. If you try this project, here is one option for a free bird silhouette.


Lastly, I busted out my acrylic paint, which I already had, and painted the background first and then the birds.

Here is a pic of the birds hanging on the wall. Not too shabby for $4.

They really brighten up the stairway. It draws your eyes up as you walk up the stairs, which is great considering the staircase carpet is a high traffic area and tends to accumulate many stains. Who knew how much of an impact a little color can make?

What sort of wall art have you created? I'd love to see it, so feel free to leave a link. Thanks!  :)


I'm linking to these lovely parties: Along for the Ride, Funky Junk Interiors, Beyond The Picket Fence, & Remodelaholic
Fine Craft Guild
Photobucket

17 comments:

  1. Cute bird art! I love the color scheme and the theme.
    I especially like the fact that is was inexpensive to make!

    corninmycoffee-pot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cute!! And really awesome for $4 art! Visiting from Remodaholic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome idea! Never thought about buying cheap canvases and repainting them - perfect idea! I like your birds too - simple and chic!!
    I'm your newest follower...come check out my blog when you get a chance :-)
    Shantel @
    www.itsapricelesslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!

    And I have been looking for 4 canvases to do a project myself. I'll have to look for those. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea to re-purpose those canvases! And they turned out really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute! Don't you just love the dollar store?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your little bird pictures! Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your description of why you craft and your love something handmade rather than store bought. I feel the same way.
    Your wall art is definitely personal and expressive of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so pretty! Super cheap, but now you have your own work hanging on your wall to show off!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have some really great ideas! I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like this one. I like bird motifs, and this is so clever with the birds flowing off-screen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was looking for ideas and this place is perfect now i'm save it in my favorites, you are really good

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are great! What a fantastic idea! Your bird pictures are awesome and look great hanging up. Thanks for all the wonderful ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. such a great idea! I always look at those canvases in the dollar area and wonder what I could do with them

    ReplyDelete
  15. Keep sharing a lot more relating to this. We would like to see more from you and more regularly! Btw also visit my website
    logo purchase

    ReplyDelete
  16. This post is amazing, thanks for the share. Also, visit our website if you are looking to buy amazing products in Pakistan:

    Cheezain PK

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is unique and good post, thanks for the share, if you are looking to law dissertation Writers then visit our site and get up to 7O off.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your kind comments!