7.26.2010

Tutorial: How to make a unique paper lampshade

If you want a unique and pretty lampshade that also doesn't break the bank, then you should gather up 2 sheets of your favorite paper and make this cute paper lampshade. It will dress up any room and give it an edgy, non-traditional look. Not bad considering it will take you only 10 minutes and the materials are probably already in your house. Ready, get set, go!
Materials - 2 pieces of pretty 12 x 12 scrapbook paper (I found a big pack at Ross for $5); scissors ($2); clear tape ($1); clear Contact paper ($5.68); pencil ($0.50)


Time - 10 minutes


**Also, make sure the lamp base you are using has a lamp harp. The finial base is what will hold up the lampshade. Obviously, it would be a bad idea to have the lightbulb directly touching the clear contact paper.**


Oh and by the way, I had to Google all of those terms (i.e., lamp harp and finial base). In case you're like I was and don't know all of the technical terms, here is a diagram I got from this website.

Step 1 - Tape 2 pieces of pretty scrapbook paper together on one side. Flip it around and tape the outside, so that you are reinforcing both sides of the paper. 
(FYI: When you are choosing the pieces of paper, hold it them up to the light to see if you still like how they look.)

Step 2 - Tape the other side of the pieces of paper together to form a cylinder. 

(Note: The paper in the first picture is different than this paper. I created the lampshade the first time without taking pictures of the different steps, so I had to redo it with new paper.)

Step 3 - Place the cylinder on top of the clear contact paper, and draw a circle onto the contact paper that is about an inch wider than the base of the cylinder.

Step 4 - Cut out the circle and remove the backing. Then cut slits (~1 inch) in the contact paper all the way around the circle. 

Step 5 - Place the circle of contact paper on top of the cylinder, and gently fold down the pieces of contact paper all the way around. (This is what will hold up the paper shade.)


There you go! That's all there is to it! 

P.S. For the base, I just used an ugly brass colored one that I already had. I spray painted it white with Krylon Fusion spray paint. 


I'm linking to...

Beyond The Picket Fence


3 comments:

  1. Sooo creative!! I am happy to be your newest follower of your adorable blog! I'd love to have you as a friend at Frou Frou Decor! I would also like to invite you to link up at my weekly Fabulous Finds party..every Friday - Sunday! Hope to see you there!
    Hugs,
    ~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this turned out great! I've used fabric on a lampshade but never scrapbook paper! Too cute!

    Thanks so much for linking up to SS!

    Hannah @ http://youngancrafty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have used fabric to recover a lamp shade, but I love the scrapbook paper too!
    Here is a link to it...

    http://nestingnewbies.blogspot.com/2011/01/makeover-story.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your kind comments!