8.24.2010

Tutorial: How to make a $2 version of the starburst mirror

$2 decorative mirror

So, remember this mirror that I referenced in a post earlier this month?



I found it on Crafty Nest, and it totally inspired me to make my own version. So, I popped over to Dollar Tree again, and I found some materials to make my own version. Mine is smaller and, admittedly, not as stunning as the starburst mirror. But for a mere $2 and 30 minutes (which hardly even counts because I was simultaneously watching a movie with the husband), I am pretty pleased with the results. :)

My version
Materials
  • Small mirror ($1)
  • Package of popsicle sticks ($1 - I'm going to say my package of sticks contained 100, but that's just a guess.)
  • Spray paint (I used some leftover white Krylon Fusion; it doesn't take much.)
  • Hot glue gun with glue sticks (Already had on hand, but for those who do not have one, I believe they run maybe $5.)



Time - 30 minutes

Step 1 - Cover the popsicle sticks with spray paint.

Note: This is harder than it sounds because the force of the spray will flip some over. There is probably a solution for this that people more creative than me have thought of. 


Step 2 - Flip your mirror over, and use the hot glue gun to adhere the popsicle sticks to the back of the mirror. I tried to glue the sticks as close to the edge as possible, so that most of the popsicle sticks would show.

Warning: If you try to watch a movie while gluing, you will be burned! I learned the hard way, people. Ha!



Step 3 - After you have glued one layer all the way around, glue a second layer (and a third layer, too, if you are so inclined) on top of the first. As you add your second layer, make sure that part of the second row of popsicle sticks is sticking out past the first row. 


Step 4 - Cut a small piece of scrap ribbon, and glue both sides to the back. This will allow you to hang your beautiful mirror. Yay!

 Thanks so much for taking the time to check out this post and my blog! I love comments and would really like to hear about other people's projects!

6 comments:

  1. I love the star burst mirror. I am also anxious to see how your going to do the curtains out of place mats.
    Great idea, the whole DIY list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I feel like a few more popsicle sticks would have really filled it out nicely, but I ran out of paint.

    I hope the curtain out of placemats idea works. I'm excited to try it. Thank you for reading! It really encourages me to keep working on my projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fantastic!! ..And who knew!? Popsicle sticks! My daughter and I would have so much fun doing this. Nice job.

    Candice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hiya, just found your blog and i am lovin your ideas ,this sunburst mirror is one i will be trying x
    tfs
    http://emilysnan.blogspot.com/
    xmaggiex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I just found your blog! The inspiration piece looks soo cute! It was a great idea, but the popsicles glued to the top of a peanut lid looks NOTHING like the real piece. Wow, i have never seen such hideous DIY in a long time. it looks like it was $2, but we may be overestimating it's worth. I put them up on etsy for negative $10, but no one will take them. How's life treating you, Helen Keller?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is SUCH a great idea, my daughter has been wanting one of these $$$ mirrors and now she can have one. Can't wait to see the rest of your projects - thanks for sharing!

    Nora

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your kind comments!