7.26.2011

Perfect Summer Treat: Strawberry Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Confession: I am not much of a cook. Although I do eat at home for most my meals (not a fan of dining out frequently - besides who could afford it?), I typically do something quick and easy and marginally nutritious. The hubs and I are vegetarians, so I think we can get away with quick meals. For instance, while some people have to prepare meat entrees, I just heat up some black beans! haha!! :)

Okay, so what's my point in saying all that? Well, my point is that, although I don't like to cook meals, I do sort of enjoy baking desserts. And here is why:

Reason #1: I have a sweet tooth (that may in fact be reasons #2 and #3 also).
Reason #2: Homecooked desserts are almost always better than store-bought ones.
Reason #3: You can snack on your delicious treat for possibly weeks (or less, see #1). Compared to cooking meals, you get more bang for your buck, time-wise.
Reason #4: You get to decorate it! Holla! You can only do so much decorating with mashed potatos and peas. Cupcakes, on the other hand, are like a canvas for your creative juices.

Speaking of cupcakes, I think this post was originally supposed to be about a cupcake recipe. 


Here's the breakdown:

Strawberry Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
(yields 26 cupcakes; 183 calories/cupcake)

Ingredients for cupcakes (adapted from the version found here; mine has fewer calories: 108 cal/cupcake):
-white cake mix
-1/3 cup vegetable oil
-3 cage-free egg whites
-1 cup low fat buttermilk
-3 oz. strawberry jello
-2 cups fresh strawberries (optional: extra for garnishment)

Measure out 2 cups of strawberries (cut up, not whole). Use a mashing utensil (not sure that's the correct name?) to mash the strawberries until you have a juicy mixture. In a large bowl, add cake mix and dry jello mix and stir until blended. Then add strawberries, oil, buttermilk, and egg whites. Beat for 2 minutes, and then pour batter into lined cupcake pans. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes at 350 degrees.

Ingredients for cream cheese frosting (75 cal/cupcake):
-7 1/4 oz cream cheese (1/3 less fat kind)
-1 1/3 sticks of unsalted butter
-1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
-1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Let the butter thaw before you begin, but keep the cream cheese cold. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese  for about 2 minutes. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until blended.

Tip: Put the cupcakes in the refrigerator while you make the frosting. That way they will be cool and ready for frosting. 


Enjoy!


Do you have a favorite strawberry cupcake recipe? I'm open to trying different ones if you'd like to leave a link in the comments. :) Thanks!

Photobucket
If you enjoyed this post, please consider following along on Facebook. Thanks!

 Tip Junkie handmade projects
Cast Party Wednesday @ Lady Behind the Curtain 

11 comments:

  1. hey, just stumbled on your blog through your quatrafoil desk DIY on pinterest. Love your little space on the internet. I LOVE me some good DIY projects. I don't have a cupcake recipe because I basically stink at baking, but i wanted to comment to tell you I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe looks really good! It would be great if you came over to Cast Party Wednesday tomorrow and shared some of your recipes.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lauren! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, I love hearing from other Raleigh bloggers! The GW that I found that table in was the Brier Creek GW...I rarely have luck at GW's but I got lucky that time! I really like to go to the salvation army or Cause for Paw thrift stores...I seem to always have luck there! Love your blog...that popcorn ceiling project is what my nightmares are made of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. seriously this is not okay for a girl watching her diet right now!! haha, they look soo good!

    Coley
    www.whatyoumakeit-coley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY GOSH WHAT I WOULDN'T DO FOR ONE OF THESE BAD BOYS RIGHT NOW (yes, I had to use caps for that...that's how bad I wish I had one..CAPS!) hehe

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ~ www.billiemonster.com ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for joining me last week for Cast Party Wednesday. I hope you come back tomorrow and share more of your recipes with us.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this amazing article, it is very informative post good work keep it up.

    What is 3D Puff Embroidery

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this amazing article, it is very informative post good work keep it up best courier service

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing the amazing recipe. I loved love to try it.
    However, if anyone wants to know about the logo design and its importance for business, visit the website given below!
    Custom Logo Design

    ReplyDelete
  10. The amount or cost to digitize a logo is usually determined by the colour changes in the thread and the stitch number needed for logo embroidery. The cost is usually between $10-$40. It may be as low as $10 dollars and can go up to $60-$70 embroidery digitizing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG very good blog I really happy to see this!
    Thanks for sharing it with us.
    law essay help

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your kind comments!