12.05.2010

Sweater Candle Cozies {tutorial}

We got some lovely snow yesterday here in North Carolina. The snow came down in big soft flakes - it was beautiful! It was the perfect opportunity to stay indoors and do a winter project. I've been dying to try this sweater candle cozie project created by the ingenious Stephanie Lynn at Under the Table and Dreaming.

All it involves is recycling some old sweaters (or in my case, buying one from the thrift store) by covering the candle vase in a comfy sweater. Here is what mine turned out like:
Do you like it? I am in love with it! Small changes like this can really warm up a space, as well as turn generic candles into unique, stylish ones. I think it's the perfect project for these snow-filled days.

One thing I did differently than Stephanie Lynn is that I sewed my sweater into place rather than hot gluing it on. The reason being that I know I will want to change out the look of these candle vases later, so as usual, I only made a temporary change. I will be able to slip off the sweater covers and store them away as spring approaches, but I will be able to reuse them next winter. Perfect!

Sewing them was actually really easy. I only had to make around 3 rows of stitches.

Here is the original sweater. I picked it up at the thrift store. I was able to use it for two different projects and even had some left over. Not too shabby for $7.
First step was to slip a sleeve over the candle vase. Then I cut the piece to size, trimming the edges of the candle vase base as I went.
The only thing left to do was to sew this gap in the sleeve. That took about 30 seconds.
One down, two to go!
I did the same thing as before, but this time I made the sweater cozie for the candle rather than the vase. (Tip: If you do this, make sure the sweater won't catch on fire when you light the candle!)

For the round vase, I simply stretched the other sleeve over it. That way all I had to do was make the same few stitches to the top of the sleeve. I also had to make a few stitches to the bottom of the vase in order to wrap the sweater underneath the vase. If I had not done this, the bottom would have looked too frayed.
It turned out to be my favorite! :)
Here are the sweater candle cozies in my table centerpiece:
What do you think? Have you made any cool things with cable knit sweaters? Have you tried this project before? Please do share. :)
Photobucket

I'm linking to...
UndertheTableandDreaming
The DIY Show Off




7 comments:

  1. The round one is my favorite too! Thanks for giving instructions on how to make them a temporary change. I like to switch things up too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its been a while since I have been paroozing in blogger land--so I hadn't seen some of your super awesome projects and your CSN giveaway!!! Congrats on that one--how fun! And I am in love with so many of your projects! Such great ideas! This one is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long-legged doji candlestick variations have been successful for traders who are trading on the short side of the price range. These traders must watch for long-legged doji bears that could signal the continuation of the uptrend in a downtrend. If you want to get more interesting details about doji candlestick, you may go here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should let the service person know exactly what you want done, as well as what you know about the garage door itself. The best advice is always to have the person come to your home to assess the situation before recommending a solution. Source to know more about urban garage door services.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you're making my mouth water! can't wait for a visit to the fleet nation...and it won't be complete without a baby FBM or a morning trip to the wicked.However, if you want to buy a custom made logo click here.
    design logo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is love, thanks for the share. Also, visit our website if you are looking to buy amazing products in Pakistan:

    Cheezain Pakistan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your kind comments!