9.01.2010

Tutorial: An easy, no-sew window treatment made of placemats

A couple of months ago, I bought some placemats for my small round kitchen table, but after placing them on the table, they just didn't look right - took up too much space, I think.  But it's okay because, for better or worse, we rarely eat in the kitchen anyway. I obviously didn't want to let these go to waste, so that's how they came to be part of project #14 on my DIY list.

Here is the final product! 

(Please ignore the nasty miniblinds and dated cabinets. :) I'm a renter.

This window treatment may not seem like a big deal, but consider what I was working with in this before pic:


I think the window treatment makes a big difference, but eh, I'm biased.

Anyway, if you'd like to make some quick and easy placemat valances too, then just follow these steps. Thanks for looking!


Materials
  • 2 inexpensive standard-sized placemats in a solid color or a print would look especially nice! (Mine were from Walmart and cost around $2/placemat…I think. I don't think I would have paid more than $3.)
  • No-sew iron-on tape - the kind I have is strong enough to hem jeans or another heavy material like that ($2.79)
  • Scissors (already own)
  • Iron and ironing board (already own)

Time - 10 minutes or less - by far, one of the easiest projects I have ever done.



Step 1 - Cut out your first piece of no-sew tape, and place it approximately 3.5 inches from the top.

Step 2 - Fold the top section over the no-sew tape, and iron well, with heat at the highest setting. Keep ironing until the fabric holds strongly together. Repeat this step on the second placemat.

I thought I was done here.

But then I hung up the curtains…


Eek! Disaster! Project #14 is dead, gone, done with.

Momentary thought to self: Maybe I can casually delete this project and quietly replace it with another one. No one will ever have to know about this, my dear placemats.  We'll keep this between you and me, kay? I'm going to put you out of your ugly little misery. {In sing-song voice} Into the trash you go! 

Then, I snapped out of it and decided it wouldn't hurt to try playing around with them a bit.

In the meantime, those lucky fur babies of mine got some delicious natural PB in a chew toy. 




Step 3 - Next, I cut out two more pieces of iron-on tape. I folded the bottom of the placemat up and over toward me and toward the top. Make another fold, with the iron-on tape in between, and apply heat.

Maybe this project is salvageable after all.  :) 



Step 4 -  Place your last piece of iron-on tape under the fold you just made - so it will be between the main fabric of the placemat and the fold.

Note: All folds and no-sew tape will be on the front side of your valance.

Slip your curtain rod into the top slit, and there you have it! 

Here is a closer shot: 



Thanks so much for checking out my project! I would love to see yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind comments!